"Every story has an end, but in life every ending has a new beginning"

 Signing off for now :)

Thank you for staying and reading about my thoughts, feelings, and opinions on the literature in my Intro to English Major class and also my daily life experiences.

Recap of my thoughts

I came across the random quote, "Every story has an end, but in life every ending has a new beginning", and I thought it was a good way to summarize and wrap up my blogs for my Intro to English Major class. I quite enjoyed the class, even if I stressed out about the readings and quizzes. My favorite part of the class was the group discussion and hearing

people's thoughts on the different pieces. Some points even caught me by surprise since I didn't think of it and I was excited to learn about new theories or thoughts about stories that were not as clear in their meanings. I wanted to take time to collect what I have gone over through my posts and the class while also mentioning a few things I haven't talked about before.

Interesting Poems:

  • The Eagle
  • Metaphors
  • I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud
  • My Papa's Waltz
  • Barbie Doll
  • Stop all of the clocks, cut off the telephone (also called Funeral Blues)
  • The Red Wheelbarrow
  • The Brain - is wider than the Sky
  • The world is too much with us
I enjoyed all of these poems for similar reasons, which include the choice of diction, imagery, and telling an important story or messages. If I had to pick my favorites out of this list it would have to be "The Eagle", "Barbie Doll", and "Stop all of the clocks...". Towards the beginning of this class my choices would have been different but these three poems really caught my attention and made me expand my thinking on what the poem is trying to convey.

Favorite Fiction Stories:

  • The Yellow Wallpaper
  • The Story of an Hour
  • The Grasshopper and the Bell Cricket
  • Cathedral
  • Araby
  • A good man is hard to find (not a favorite but I have read it before and it humors me)
These fiction pieces are my favorites out of the ones I read in the class. Although it is a shorter list than the poems (which surprises me) I think the fiction pieces I chose really highlight issues I am passionate about and flow nicely throughout the story. I also based it off of the contributing factors of imagery, description, word choice, character development and so on. I think I was a bit pickier choosing the fiction writings because that is the type of reading I like to read on my own. In these stories one or many aspects of the piece caught my attention and ultimately caused me to include it on the list.

Suspenseful Plays:

  • Throughout the class we either read or watched plays, which include Trifles (by Susan Glaspell), Raisin in the Sun (by Lorraine Hansberry), and Hamlet (by Shakespeare). I thought that my favorite play out of the three was either Trifles or Hamlet. I like them for specific and different reasons which is why I would pick both. When reading Trifles there was a mystery and suspense aspect that kept me intrigued even if the piece wasn't what I typically read. I also like how the play brings up topics that involve the oppression and isolation women were going through during the 1800's and 1900's. After reading Hamlet I liked the overall storyline and how the backgrounds of the characters added to the story. Although I really do not enjoy reading Shakespeare or other older writers, Hamlet was not as bad as other pieces but still difficult for me here and there. For some reason to me it reads easier than some of Shakespeare's other works, such as The Tempest and Othello, or even varying works such as Oedipus Rex by Sophocles. When I compared Trifles and Hamlet to Raisin in the Sun, I liked the storylines and how the plays were laid out more. Despite Raisin in the Sun being a really interesting play and having a nice storyline, there were not any moments or components that really stood out to me more than the other two plays. Maybe watching the play compared to reading the other two plays is what is causing a bit of the different feelings but I preferred the plays Trifles and Hamlet in class.

Comments